Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Inspiration from Bollywood

Like many children of Indian immigrant parents in Toronto, I grew up watching Bollywood movies. Since the dawn of Indian cinema, movie watching has been an intrinsic part of Indian culture so it is of no surprise that Indians who immigrated to Canada would continue that tradition. However, I think movie watching became more than just a form of entertainment for South Asian immigrants in their new country; it became a way to stay connected to their homeland. As a first generation Canadian, Bollywood movies were unlike any North American movies I had seen: they were filled with larger-than-life heroes, melodrama, action-packed fight scenes, great music with chereographed dance sequences, fantasy, and, of course, the love story. With a lack of South Asian faces on mainstream TV and movies in the 70s and 80s I was drawn to Bollywood movies to see women who looked like me and wanted to grow up to be as beautiful and glamorous as Parveen Babi, Zenat Aman and Rekha. As over the top Bollywood movies were I was also drawn to them as they provided a glimpse of of Indian culture and traditions of a country my parents missed and longed for.

My first introduction to the tradition of Suhaag Raat (elaborate wedding night decorations) came from Bollywood movies. I can still remember the first time I saw the popular movie, "Kabhi Kabhie", and the beautful wedding night scene where the actress, Rakhee, is sitting in a bed adorned with flowers. I had never seen anything like this before and was mesmorized by the elaborate decorations of the bedroom to celebrate this special night for the bride and groom.



Rakhee from the movie, "Kabhi Kabhie"

Romantic love is most often the central theme of Bollywood movies so the image of the suhaag raat added a very romantic scene to the movies. The beautiful flowers and flower petals, the rich colours, diyas (Indian oil lamps) softly lighting the room, and stunning decor were all part of what made the suhaag raat scene so romantic in the movies.



Actress, Mumtaz



Actress Poonam Dhillon from the movie, "Noorie"

As I became a little older my parents explained to me that the suhaag raat scenes I saw in Bollywood movies were actually based on a long-held South Asian tradition that has been in existence for hundred of years. I held those beautiful images in my memory over the years and desired the same romantic wedding night for myself. As someone born and raised in North America, I experienced the prevalence of romance in the mainstream culture (i.e. Valentine's Day) so the romantic tradition of the Suhaag Raat was a tradition I could relate to in my life in Canada.
A few years ago, as I began planning for my wedding I remembered those wedding night scenes from the Bollywood movies and hoped I could have the same for my wedding night. I didn't necessarily want the traditional decorations as shown in the images above but I did want to create a romantic ambience as I desired our wedding night to be as special and memorable as the wedding day. The first night together as husband and wife is the mark of a new life together so I wanted it to be special. How romantic would it be for the love of my life and I, as a newly married couple, to walk into our honeymoon suite elaborately decorated; it would be a memory we would remember forever! Unfortunately, unlike in South Asia, I could not find a company that specialized in this tradition and, needless to say, I was disappointed. After my wedding I thought if I wanted my wedding night to be special as it is part of the overall wedding celebrations, there must certainly be others like myself who would want the same. And that is how the concept of our business, A Night of Romance, began.
Most South Asian-Canadians were raised in two cultures: the mainstream Canadian culture and the culture that our parents brought over from their homeland. In addition to language, food, and religion, Bollywood has also played a role in helping us maintain ties with a part of the world that sometimes feels both familiar and foreign at the same time. For those of South Asian backgrounds growing up in Canada, Bollywood has inspired the type of music we listen and dance to, the fashion we wear to weddings and other functions, travels to India and, in my case, a start of a new business venture. Given the popularity of Bollywood for those from the South Asian diaspora it has undoubtedly played a part in our cultural identity as South Asians living abroad. With "Slumdog Millionaire" winning the best film at the Oscars in 2009 it will be interesting to see how Bollywood impacts those from North America who have never heard of Bollywood before.
Monika
A Night of Romance

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow gr8!
We do follow some of the thingss in India like decorating the bed with flowers is a must.It definitely creates romantic ambience and makes it special & memorable.
I wish you all the best,I know you will do a great job!
Love,
Monica

April 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home